Author Topic: Dennis' Drag Bike  (Read 9030 times)

supdve

Dennis' Drag Bike
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:21:04 PM »
I don't see a build topic or pics of Dennis' build so I'll put a little something here. Dennis if you do not want this here i will remove it.

supdve

Re: Dennis' Drag Bike
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:21:40 PM »

supdve

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »

supdve

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:24:15 PM »
Very exhausting building a bike

supdve

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 10:25:33 PM »

supdve

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 10:27:35 PM »

Donovan

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:37:19 PM »
Great pictures.  They should be kept on as then we can see the progression as the bike is completed.  Guy looks a bit confused in the first picture.

Dennis

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 11:00:39 AM »
Thanks for posting the photos.  I was really pleased that so many members dropped by to check it out.

I welded in the rear motormount last night and am working on the front ones next.

I have some real momentum on this project, but will likely have to sideline it a bit while I get my camper ready for a trip in May.  Kinda sucks.

Dennis

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 02:22:50 PM »
Stuntman started this, and I should have added some pictures as things went along.  After our tech nite and firing up the drag bike, I am inspired to maybe add photos as I move into the final stages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3dALd1UN1w&feature=g-upl&context=G2dd0cc1AUAAAAAAAAAA

There are just a few finishing touches, before stripping and painting.  I need to shorten the "stinger" (2 stroke word for "muffler"  ... don't know why).  Once the bike is disassembled I have some finishing welding to do.  Mostly places I could not reach when assembled. 

I don't plan to do much with the engine just yet, although I am still surfing the web for a cheap YZ Cylinder and Piston.  There is one on Ebay right now that is pretty close to my price range, but I drained my Paypal account so I have to wait.

I have leftover black paint for the frame, and I think I have some leftover Yellow for the tank and fender.  I don't know if automotive paint goes bad with time, but it is left over from when I painted my XS650 in 2005.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:24:00 PM by Dennis »

Dennis

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 11:03:13 PM »
Anyone know about repacking mufflers?  I chopped the stinger this weekend (about a third shorter than it was).  Inside were the charred remains of what had been fiberglass packing.  I want to repack it with something before I weld it up.

Rusty Bucket

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 01:44:15 AM »
I repacked the expansion chambers on my 550 Suzuki once in awhile, after burning the accumulated gunk out of them (warning warning environmental disaster) with regular fibreglass matting wrapped with baling wire, but the modern stuff for repacking dirtbike mufflers is pretty easy to work with - though I guess it is more intended for four strokes? - that's what I used to wrap the Vance and Hines cores from an old Big Twin exhaust currently residing in my Guzzi's otherwise-empty cans.  2 packages was about 35 bucks, if I recall, from the Yamaha dealer.  Not sure if the same stuff would get used for a two stroke - the matting is dense.  Tell Chris what you are wanting it for and I'm sure he'll find a catalogue that would have the correct stuff for the application.

Dennis

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 01:09:49 AM »
All fabrication is finished.  Stinger is repacked.  I even have a kick stand now.  All parts but for the exhaust are painted.   I used no Bondo, just a few cans of spray paint. Depending on my commitments, I will start assembling tomorrow.

Anyone got a couple of Yamaha stickers kicking around?  The tank and fender are yellow like the old YZs (even though the IT400 was blue).  I used tank sealer this time before I painted the gas tank.

I will post photos as soon as its a roller.

Peace & Grease, Dennis

Donovan

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 09:49:38 AM »
Dennis when can we see the drag bike project?  It is ride night today, will you be around for a visit?

Donovan

Dennis

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 12:07:09 PM »
I hope to be in my shop tonight.  I will be skipping the ride because I still have not fixed my throttle cable, and I want to get this project done.  Anyone want to drop by after the ride is welcome.  I may even have some beer on hand.

Peace & Grease, Dennis

Dennis

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 08:53:26 PM »
This project was started in March 2011.  But for some last adjustments and a fuel petcock, its finished.  I can't wait to try it out.  I am bummed that Friday Night Drags are cancelled this week. 

Peace & Grease, Dennis