Author Topic: xs1100 Trike  (Read 2945 times)

Dennis

• Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: xs1100 Trike
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2018, 11:44:32 AM »
Picking up where I left off in April.  The project was put on hold for the summer months.  No weekends at home, lots of sunshine, and what time I did spend in the shop was routine maintenance.  A rainy long weekend is a sign that fab time is approaching.

I left off with having many parts finished and getting ready for the final frame build.  My plan is to use a straight line on the floor, and center everything to the line. 

I borrowed (in the spring ...) a laser from Paul.  Worked great.

Peace & Grease, Dennis

Dennis

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2018, 09:31:07 AM »
I needed to assemble the front forks for the mock up, and to see if all of the parts I've purchased on Ebay will actually go together.

I am pleased with the parts.  Everything went together fine.

I've decided to not use the registered Yamaha neck tube.  I purchased an aftermarket neck tube from a chopper supplier, which is designed for Harleys.  I purchased Harley bearings and races.  I will deal with the registration issue later.

I did a rough mock up to get the steering neck jig close to where it will be when I start fabricating.  I need to stare at it for a few more hours to decide if I am ready to make the commitment.

Peace & Grease, Dennis

Dennis

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2018, 09:40:30 AM »
Back to mock ups.  Always fun to kick start some garage time.

Measure twice, cut/weld once. 

As discussed previously, trail is important in how the trike will handle.  I think this will be perfect.

Screwed up assembling the universal joint.  I used too much pressure when it was obvious something was not right (some of the roller bearings in one cup had dropped out of place and blocked the bearing cup from sliding on).

The first sign something was wrong.

Confirmed.  Bent.

I could have heated this up and bent it back myself, but I figure I am going to want it line bored afterwards, so I will see if Jeff is working in this winter.

Peace & Grease, Dennis