Author Topic: My Love/Hate relationship with motorcylces  (Read 437 times)

Dennis

• Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: My Love/Hate relationship with motorcylces
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 03:41:23 PM »
Here is a video for what I have to do next with the transmission.   Russel has loaned me the plate that is used for measuring the end play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZTfH7RPeU8

In the meantime, I noticed that the my universal joint (tranny output to drive shaft) is not in good condition.  There is a definite binding on both axis, approximately ˝ way through the travel.

I was surprised to learn that BMW never engineered the universal joint to be removed and replaced (see my previous thread about the "Debaters").   They sell the complete drive shaft only.  Not surprising, the aftermarket has filled in the void.

The old universal joint is peened in place and that has to be cut out.

Once the new universal joint is pushed in, the four discs have to be welded on.

I ordered it today (from Oshmo Custom Motorcycles), and had a great conversation with Osh himself via conference call.  Osh was out of the country, and his assistant Mark was at the shop.  Osh wanted to make sure I was mechanically skilled enough for the install.  I assured him I was.  I dealt with Mark to persuade him I was desperate and even the “priority international shipping” would not suffice.  Since I have a Purolator account, it is coming that way in circa two business days.  Huge shipping costs on my account ($96) but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I really want to ride this bike to Dawson City.  The back up plan is the Stolen Sportster.

Peace & Grease, Dennis

Dennis

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 12:02:39 PM »
Guy Hudson came by last night and helped me dis-assemble the drive shaft in preparation for changing the universal joint.  As of this afternoon, I still don't have the kit from Oshmo.  I'm not too worried because I have other tasks to complete first.

Guy suggested freezing the transmission shafts, and heating the bearings.  After an hour or so of the bearings in the oven and the shafts in the freezer, we were set to go.

I don't have a press so we just set the bearings on the shafts and hammered them on.  Worked like a charm.

I then re-watched the video on measuring the endplay, and took a stab at measuring with my micrometer.  It is not very good, and the measurements were inconsistent, and not at all worthy of averaging.  I went to uncle Goodgle for some more advice and found this thread.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/measuring-gearbox-end-play.796697/

Basically, the technique is to squish down the cover of the case with the gasket in, to the proper torque specs.  Measure the squished solder and subtract 0.05mm (2 - 4 thou inches), and that should be my shim size.

If my shims arrived from Shails today (mail arrives after I leave for work), I will do this next step tonight.

Peace & Grease, Dennis

Dennis

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 12:28:41 PM »
I discovered on Friday that Shails never sent my shims.  Russell Parker came through with some leftovers.  After multiple assemblies, the tranny was back together at 3:00 in the morning Saturday night.

Sunday I made the executive decision to move to plan B.  I put signal lights and luggage back on the Stolen Sportster.  New tires, and an oil change.

Just too much to do and not enough test time to commit to the BMW for Dawson City.

Peace & Grease, Dennis

Dennis

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 09:40:23 AM »
I haven't posted on this thread for awhile.

This past weekend I dug into the abandoned BMW project which had been sitting exactly as I left it before the Dawson City trip.  Summer allows nothing but basic maintenance.

I got the BMW back together last night.  I started it up and ran it through all of the gears (on the centre stand and still attached to my hoist). Everything works but for the return shifter spring when shifting down.  I have to nudge the shifter up with my toe.  DAMN.  Hopefully its just the new shifter shaft seal which is pretty tight on the shifter shaft.  There is no way I am going to re-open the tranny until I have exhausted a thorough break in.

While it was apart, I removed the Pulse Air Injection System ("PAIS").  Like many motorcycle manufacturers in the 1980s, BMW was doing everything it could to reduce unburned hydrocarbons being released into the atmosphere.  The PAIS was an elaborate system that sensed certain vacuum pressure from the carbs which then opened complex air diaphragms in the air box to allow a burst of air into the exhaust output in the head.  The extra air was supposed to help burn up gas entering the exhaust when the throttle was suddenly rolled back.  While this worked, it also caused excessive heating of the head (particularly in the R100 model), and a notable "popping" sound.

All this is now gone.

Whether permitting, I will bring it out tonight. 

Peace & Grease, Dennis