Author Topic: Depart Dawson City Ride  (Read 861 times)

Olafskii

• Club Member
    • View Profile
Depart Dawson City Ride
« on: May 03, 2018, 08:46:36 PM »
Staying at Bob Bergen's in Smithers on the first night.

Sr.X

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Depart Dawson City Ride
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 10:40:48 AM »
Just wondering what your plans are for the first leg of the journey after Smithers, I am thinking of riding part way with you and turning off to Hyder. Also is there a rough idea of how many will be coming, not that it matters as all are welcome. Spare room goes to the first person who asks, there is also a hide a bed couch and lots of floor space for any who donít want to set up a tent. Looking forward to seeing you in June.
Later Bob

Hans

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »
Looks to be about 6-7 leaving PG.  Guy, Dennis, Neal, Donovan, maybe Rick x 2 , maybe Olaf, myself.  We'll talk about it next meeting.

Choices for Day 2 include a push to Dease Lake or a side trip into Stewart.  The crew going to Dawson probably want to roll in there on the 19th or 20th, so there should be plenty of time.

I'll be ditching you guys for the night in Smithers, going to visit a friend in Quick.  I'll catch up in the morning.  I'm still not sure how far up the road I'll go with you, it's likely to be a game time decision.  It'll be either up to Watson Lake and around back down the Alaska Highway or backtrack and go up the Nass valley and ride out to Kincolith, stop in at QBall's, and head home
I live with fear and danger everyday, but sometimes I leave her at home and go motorcycling.

Dennis

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 03:25:03 PM »
I'm pretty keen on this ride.

See my thread "Love Hate Relationship" for progress on getting my BMW together for this trip.

Peace & Grease,
Dennis

Sr.X

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 04:19:07 PM »
Iíve been watching, wishing you wisdom, knowledge and a bit of luck in getting your bike ready. If all else fails I have a 650 BMW here that needs a new home. Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Later Bob

Hans

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 09:58:57 AM »
Plan is to be ready to leave Bon Voyage at 2:30 on Friday the 15th.  Estimated time of arrival at Smithers.... 7ish.
I live with fear and danger everyday, but sometimes I leave her at home and go motorcycling.

kaziff

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 10:38:40 AM »
for anyone hoping to ho into hyder or alaska amywjere, don't forget your passport and american moola

Dennis

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 11:47:26 AM »
for anyone hoping to ho into hyder or alaska amywjere, don't forget your passport and american moola

If we are going into Stewart, it would be a bummer to not go to Hyder .... just to get Hyderized.

After the 2006 Muscle Run (Williams Lake to Prince Rupert) I stayed overnight in New Hazelton on the return trip.  On a whim in the morning, I road to Hyder, had a drink (Hyderized) and rode home.  I arrived in my driveway at 5:00 am. after approximately 20 continuous hours on my old xs650 cafť racer.

Stewart is small, and Hyder is smaller.  If I recall correctly, the pavement ended at the border, but there is virtually only a block or so of downtown Hyder.

Looks like its paved now.

There still appears to be no manned border crossing going into Hyder.  From a blog

http://www.ridestopngo.com/blog/border-crossing-alaska/

"Hyder AK / Stewart British Columbia: The only USA border crossing that does not conduct border inspection entering from Stewart BC to Hyder Alaska. The Canadian border crossing is open 24 hours a day, year round."

There is a Canadian border crossing coming back to Canada.  The Canadians don't want us bringing  back hand guns which you can buy in Hyder.  I hear the locals are friendly  (photo from http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/folks-living-in-this-tiny-outpost-on-the-alaskan-border-may-use-canadian-dollars-but-theyre-still-100-american)

I did not have my passport in 2006.  The Canadian border guy waved when I rode into Hyder and I was on my way out about 20 minutes later.  I told him I just wanted to get Hyderized.  He laughed and sent me on my way.  Considering that the War of 1812 has now made Canada a potential US threat, I can't guarantee the border crossing would be so smooth. 

Peace & Grease, Dennis

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:55:59 AM by Dennis »

Hans

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 12:13:21 PM »
I just called Canada Border Services.  A Drivers Licence and a Birth Certificate is all you need if you are crossing into Canada by land still.  For the lapsed foreigners, some other kind of Canadian Citizenship document would suffice as well.  Olaf got the gears a couple years ago for trying to cross immorally.

Dennis

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 12:58:50 PM »
I just called Canada Border Services.  A Drivers Licence and a Birth Certificate is all you need if you are crossing into Canada by land still.  For the lapsed foreigners, some other kind of Canadian Citizenship document would suffice as well.  Olaf got the gears a couple years ago for trying to cross immorally.
We should all get Consent To Travel letters from our parents.   

stevecrout

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 02:23:54 PM »
Not sure if they will enforce it in Hyder  but passports are required for entry into the USA at every other port. 
Why be normal?

Hans

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 03:09:08 PM »
Nope, no US Border Station.  Roll on in, travel 20 miles up the only road and you're back in Canada.  Only place that road goes to is the mine.  Have to back track to get out.

fj1200

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 06:01:44 PM »
Clarification to Steve comment. You are also able to drive/walk into the U.S. if you have an enhanced drivers license.  To fly though you need a passport.

ricther

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 01:04:22 AM »
Thanks Hans; Be cool to behyderized. And come back to
 Canada. That's a real bonus! Does anyone know where the fish
 Ladders are? See you on the 19th, right the 15th.

Sr.X

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 04:44:16 PM »
I was planning on riding to Hyder thinking that the rest of you would continue north from Meziadin Junction, if Stewart is your first nights stop then I would stay in Stewart as well. Getting Hyderized would be a good reason to to venture into the U.S. and from what I remember they take our money as the only bank is in Stewart.
Later, Bob